Accessibility, Inclusion, and Action in Medical Education: Lived Experiences of Learners and Physicians with Disabilities
- Quick Download (will not put the PDF into your My Downloadable Products folder)
- Accessibility, Inclusion, and Action in Medical Education: Lived Experiences of Learners and Physicians with Disabilities
Identifying cultural and structural barriers and catalyzing institutional policies that support all qualified learners, regardless of disability, throughout the medical education continuum is a worthy and essential goal. This publication weaves together major themes from interviews conducted with 47 students, residents, and physicians with disabilities.
This report provides medical school faculty, advisors and administrators with promising practices to help ensure that all qualified learners, regardless of disability, have equal access to medical education and the profession of medicine.
OVERVIEW AND BENEFITS
To capture the current state of disability in medical education, the AAMC and the University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine partnered to publish a report drawn from the lived experiences of learners with disabilities. The report highlights key considerations that leaders in academic medicine can implement to increase meaningful access for learners with disabilities, including:
- Incorporate considerations for individuals with disabilities into all diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Designate and resource disability providers who are knowledgeable about medical integration
- Integrate best practices in disability as well as accessible and respectful language into curricula and pedagogy
- Take a universal design approach to both physical space and learner activities and experience
- Normalize help-seeking behaviors and facilitate access to wellness services
- Provide ongoing professional development for faculty and staff
To download this publication as a PDF, either click the download link above or click “add to cart” and complete the checkout process to obtain the download link.
This product is not presently available in alternative formats.
TERMS OF SALE
This publication was developed by the AAMC to advance medical education. It is provided to the medical community at no cost for that purpose.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions for information about our policies and processes.
The AAMC respects your privacy. Please review our privacy statement, which governs our use of any information you provide to us.
If you have questions about the AAMC Store or your purchase, please contact the AAMC Store. Representatives typically respond within two business days.
|Number of Pages||54|