Results of the 2018 Medical School Enrollment Survey
- Quick Download (will not put the PDF into your My Downloadable Products folder)
- Results of the 2018 Medical School Enrollment Survey
This report presents findings from the 15th annual AAMC Survey of Medical School Enrollment Plans. It analyzes feedback from deans at U.S. medical schools to project first-year medical school enrollment through the year 2026.
Designed for deans, researchers, policymakers, and the academic medicine community.
OVERVIEW AND BENEFITS
This report examines first-year medical school matriculants over the past decade and projects first-year matriculants through 2026. Together with related data, the report enables academic medicine leaders to launch impactful and far-reaching dialogue around issues that affect health care. Based on results from the 15th annual AAMC Survey of Medical School Enrollment Plans, this report presents detailed findings such as the following:
- U.S. medical school enrollment has grown by 31% since 2002-2003; the 30% growth goal set in 2006 was achieved in the most recent academic year.
- Expansion has occurred through increases in class sizes at existing schools and the creation of 29 new medical schools.
- Concern remains high about the availability of graduate medical education opportunities at the state and national levels.
- A majority of schools are concerned about the number of clinical training sites and available preceptors.
- Enrollment continues to increase at DO-granting schools. Combined MD-granting and DO-granting growth is 52% since 2002.
- Now the focus must shift to increasing the number of GME slots to address the physician shortage.
- Congress must pass the bipartisan Resident Physician Shortage Reduction Act.
To download this publication as a .PDF, either click the download link above or click “add to cart” and complete the checkout process to obtain the download link.
This product is not presently available in alternative formats.
TERMS OF SALE
This publication was developed by the AAMC to advance medical education. It is provided to the medical community at no cost for that purpose.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions for information about our policies and processes.
The AAMC respects your privacy. Please review our privacy statement, which governs our use of any information you provide to us.
If you have questions about the AAMC Store or your purchase, please contact the AAMC Store. Representatives typically respond within two business days.
|Number of Pages||23|