Recommendations for Clinical Skills Curricula for Undergraduate Medical Education (PDF)
|Year Published: 2005|
- Quick Download (will not put the PDF into your My Downloadable Products folder)
- Recommendations for Clinical Skills Curricula for Undergraduate Medical Education (PDF)
Skillful performance in the act of medical care is fundamental to the delivery of quality professional service to those who seek the care of physicians. Accordingly, an essential purpose of medical education is to ensure that each student develops and continues to refine the basic clinical skills that are required to provide competent care throughout a lifetime of professional work.
These recommendations for clinical skills curricula are targeted to medical school deans and faculties to provide the opportunity for the student to master the content of a comprehensive clinical skills education.
OVERVIEW AND BENEFITS
Clinical skills are the foundation of the clinical method competencies through which clinical practice is realized. Comprehensive design of clinical skill learning opportunities ensures that students learn how clinical method applies throughout the continuum of contemporary care. It is recommended that medical schools:
- Adopt a set of common principles for guiding the clinical skills education process
- Implement an explicit set of clinical skill education objectives
- Identify a specific set of skills to be learned prior to graduation
- Utilize a set of categories for organizing the selection of clinical skill learning opportunities in the undergraduate medical curriculum
- Adapt an explicit, developmental approach to the design of the skills education curriculum
- Ensure that the curricula contain specific essential programmatic elements
To download this publication as a PDF, either click the download link above or click “add to cart” and complete the checkout process.
This product is not presently available in alternative formats.
TERMS OF SALE
This publication was developed by the AAMC as part of our efforts to advance medical education and is provided to the medical community at no cost for that purpose.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions for information about our refund policy and other important information.
The AAMC respects your privacy. Please review our privacy statement, which governs our use of any information you provide to us.
If you have questions about the AAMC Store or your purchase, please contact the AAMC Store. Representatives typically respond within two business days.
|Number of Pages: 42||Year Published: 2005|